After being inspired by this set, I wanted to get a set for a wedding gift. After a little research, the only set that I was able to find for purchase were available for $15/piece, so I set out to make my own. The pieces are constructed from 1" x 10" strips of hobby brass found at my local Ace Hardware. I drew up the designs for the pieces in Adobe Illustrator, and then bent the pieces accordingly. To get the proper curves, I used cylindrical objects such as a screwdriver, pvc pipe and a broom handle. The ends overlapped to allow for a secure solder joint. The overlap was then scuffed up with sandpaper, and flux was added before soldering the joint together. And because these would be in contact with food for a brief period of time, lead free solder was used. :)
To complete the set, I built a small box to house all the cutters to prevent them from being banged around in a kitchen drawer. The box itself is made of finish pine with a few coats of tung oil. Floral foam was used to prevent the cutters from moving around within the box.
Pictures of the inaugural game can be found here.
Completion Time: 3 hours.